Wednesday, November 24, 2021

What are you Thankful for?

Thanksgiving is this week. And while the dates change each year, the time of year is forever burned into my heart.

For the last two years, I always state that I am THANKFUL FOR MY FAMILY. Because I am. 

In 2019, the day before Thanksgiving, when folks were preparing the turkey, kids were starting their Thanksgiving break, and families were returning home for the holiday... we were rushing to the emergency room. We sat in the cardiac care unit waiting area in silence and crying, anxiously waiting for word if my dad was going to be okay or not. You really don't know what to say at times like those. I obviously needed to be there for my own sanity, but be there for my mom too.

My Dad. The man who was strong, knowledgeable, and could fix anything.

Thanks to the fast but careful EMT driver, and the quick actions of the hospital cardiac staff, my dad was fine. The day after Thanksgiving he was back home, and putting up with our extra hugs and hovering.

That year I was never more thankful for my family in my life. My dad was okay.

(And, yes, I waited until today was over before I posted this. I held my breath waiting for those same hours to pass before taking in a deep breath, knowing my dad was still safe at home. Because at this hour in 2019 I was sitting by his bedside, trying not to lose it. If you've ever seen Gilmore Girls the first time Richard goes into the hospital, that brings back all the memories of this day for me,)

If you've read MY FOREVER VALENTINE, my own experiences shaped Spencer's similar family emergency. That was not Google research in those scenes, that was all personal.

Yes, I am thankful for my family.

Now, in 2021, I again am more grateful than ever. My son was in a bad car accident over the summer. He walked away with only a concussion, but looking at his car made me wonder how.  I truly believe that between his guardian angels and the set of tires in his back seat, he was spared any severe injuries. It could've been much worse.

That didn't make my mom-heart feel any better though. He was safe, but I am sure I will always think of the what-could've-happened.

I know so many people love summer and hate to see it end, but if you ever saw me comment about looking forward to Autumn and the fall season, it was because 2021 turned into one of the worst summers ever, and I needed it to be far in my rear view. I grabbed a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks the very first day they came out and welcomed Fall into my soul! A new season, and time for me to try to breathe again.

My son is fine, and my parents are healthy. And now every Thanksgiving day, I let out a little breath when I see my dad sitting at the head of the table. Knowing the holiday is complete with us all together.

So, this year like every year, I am THANKFUL FOR MY FAMILY. I get to be with my mom and dad, my husband, my son, and the rest of my family. All of this I took for granted prior to 2020, and I will never again. Family is so important to me. Just being with them means the world!

Wishing you and yours a wonderful day, and I hope you get to see your loved ones and hug them tight, I know I will be doing just that!

 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know?

Did you know that I write two very different types of Romances? My Renegades Series is Spicy & Sweet Sports Romance. Lots of spice heati...