Saturday, January 30, 2016

Readers, this is for you

Readers:

I'm curious about something. I am a happily ever after kinda girl. I'm good with fluff stories (it's kinda like a grown up disney tv show, if those characters were adults and did more than just date and hold hands, or maybe a better example is your favorite sit-com with more of an edge?), I call them fantasy stories. The fantasy of your Prince Charming with some heat, so a Rated R Fantasy? But I also read the stories that tear your heart right out of your chest and leave you devastated until they finally get their HEA. BUT....I'm not a huge fan of that feeling of dread. For instance if I'm reading and it's 2am, or dinner needs made, or the family needs my attention, and the chapter ends with my heart broken, or pissed off at one of the characters for their utter stupidity. I don't like when tv shows make me feel that way either (perfect example, years ago a Friday cliffhanger on my soap was shooting and looking like they killed off my total favorite male character-I was devastated. I looked everywhere for a spoiler so I could have a good weekend. Instead I felt like I was going to throw up all weekend, I probably would've stayed in bed if I could've. Finally Monday afternoon came and I got to see he was not dead...damn you GH.) So I will sit and read until the story gets better and I'm no longer on that verge of tossing my cookies.
So, I will admit to you, I have a hard time writing those gut wrenching angst story lines. I know fellow authors that love that stuff and that's their specialty. My favorite author is very VERY good at those kinds of stories.
My question to you is, do you love it or hate it? If you love it, do you like the occasional more mellow angst in a story too?
And where is your line- too much angst, and too much fluff?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know?

Did you know that I write two very different types of Romances? My Renegades Series is Spicy & Sweet Sports Romance. Lots of spice heati...