Saturday, October 28, 2017

* The Glamorous life of a romance writer *

This is a completely silly blog tonight...

What's it like to be a romance writer?
Glamorous!!
Fabulous darling, it's just fabulous.
Well, actually, no.
The life of a self-published romance author.

I'm actually taking a break right now from the first round of editing my latest book. I felt like being silly while the intermission of the Pens game was on as well. Editing is what I've been doing for two days now, and I'm half done. Well, kind of. Because then I have to go back and work on one extra-long chapter. It needs some extra TLC.

I'm sure you're thinking that the life of a romance author goes a little like this:
Wake up to fresh made coffee, while relaxing in my pink silk robe. By lunch, I'm sitting by the pool, sipping champagne in my Marilyn Monroe sunglasses... (am I right so far?)
Then enjoy a lavish dinner (that I did not have to make).
Off to the country club for some hob-nobbing.

Hardly...
In reality, what keeps me busy is taking care of two cats and a dog while I have my nose in my latest manuscript. On to the afternoon, overseeing my son's schooling, while I take care of the crazy two cats and dog while my nose is in my manuscript. Then, I need to figure out dinner, make dinner (maybe run to the store) while dealing with the crazy dog (and sometimes a teen), then get back to my manuscript while dinner cooks. All the while my husband is just doing what he can to keep me sane.
Next day, repeat.

I hope you're laughing, because I am. Writing is hard. Coming up with the idea, writing it, then working with your editor (that you have to love, or it just won't work out), and all of the promoting long before release day ever happens. And even thought I'm sitting here editing, while I'm trying to listen to odd comments my husband makes to the football game or the hockey game, it's difficult work, but I also love it.
I love seeing my characters on paper, and that they make me smile when I read them. (I hope that made sense, remember, I'm practically cross-eyed at this point of the day, lol!) To me they seem to come alive, and it makes me giddy.

But that is what's awesome about my "job". I love it. If I didn't love it, I wouldn't be doing it.
"Work" could mean any hour of any day I get an idea, and it needs to be written down, somewhere, anywhere, because I guarantee if I don't write it down, I won't remember it! Sure I don't have a regular office I have to get dressed and go into, and that is AWESOME. But I do help take care of my grandmother. Because why wouldn't I? She's my grandmother. That's just something you do.
But that doesn't leave a lot of time to eat bon-bons and drink champagne by the pool, LOL!!

I write a series because I like the family atmosphere, and how they are all friends and buddies inside and outside of the rink. I love writing about their friendships and their loves. Having best friends of siblings they can count on and lean on. I love it all. And I will keep writing the Renegades series until that love is gone.

So even if my spare time is spent going to Starbucks and watching Penguins hockey...well, that's a pretty good life. (even without the pool and champagne - I guess, LOL)
I've met a bunch of awesome authors and readers. I have more people then I feel like I deserve supporting me, and it's amazing! If you are one of those people and are reading this, well, god bless you. I appreciate your friendship, and your support more than you'll ever know!
Life isn't always easy, and during those times it's nice to know you have people you can turn to for a smile.

So while I'm searching for that magic button to push that will give me that fabulous dream Kardashian life, I'll sit back and enjoy Renegades, coffee, and cherry vanilla Pepsi, sour cream and chedder chips, and my Pittsburgh Penguins, and my family. That's my dream life for now. Especially if I can continue to create a fictional hockey world.

And I hope you read it with as much humor as I wrote it. Life can't be all serious, you need to laugh.

With goals of love and hugs to all of you!!
'Till next time...

(back to hockey and editing)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know?

Did you know that I write two very different types of Romances? My Renegades Series is Spicy & Sweet Sports Romance. Lots of spice heati...